So after much deliberation, I finally settled on the idea that I don't need a theme for my blog. I don't have a gimmicky personality so why would I need one in my writing? Truth is that I will come out in my writing whether I plan on it or not. I love to write and I miss my laptop now that I haven't been in school for quite some time and no longer find porn to be necessary as a married lady. So writing and my laptop are calling my name and luring me back into the sweet comfort of blogging. MmmMM! I don't know if I'll ever have any ideas worth any one else's time, but to quote Sam Shakusky, "I don't give a damn." I will write and write and maybe some online creepers will enjoy my stuff, or maybe no one will ever read this and eventually i'll be so comfortable with my low readership that I'll start using this as a full-blown journal and then my saucy secrets will enjoy the risque lifestyle of being out for the world to see without any shame. Not that I'm ever really ashamed of my thoughts and feelings anymore, but y'know...
With all that said, I move forward to my reason for this revitalized blogging desire-- I just have to share how Costco customer service really disappointed me today.
My husband and I had to go buy a few things for this week and even though I cringed at the idea of wandering through the Sunday traffic of slow mouth-breathers and the indecisive folk who need to stand in the middle of the aisle while they read packaging. We arrived around 2:30 pm. The parking lot was surprisingly not too full and it seemed like most of the large families had already made their wholesale-shopping rounds. We went at the perfect sweet spot between the lunch-rush and the last-minute/right-before-6-pm shoppers. With my fellow shoppers in check, I was feeling pretty good about the whole experience, until we got to the check out line.
Now I know that most people my age are pretty much entitled d-bags who take up too much space and are incredibly inconsiderate, but I think as a customer, my husband and I are a pretty top notch exception. We are always courteous and friendly to employees and we try to make our teensy interactions be as painless as possible for everyone we encounter. We also tend to buy quite a bit of stuff, so it's not like we're just there for bags of chips, booze, and the food court (and even if we were, it's our choice how we want to waste our membership!). But anywho, the girl who was assisting the checker didn't even deign to make eye contact with us as she grunt-sighed and moved our cart a whole foot closer to the checker. The checker also didn't say anything to us and I think it was my telekinetic powers that finally made him look up at us as I stared at his forehead while trying to figure out if he was depressed or just truly uninterested in the two lovely people standing before him. When he did look up he asked in the most uninterested way how our day was going, then before we had answered, threw our shit across the scanner and was cursing about something under his breath. Then he looked up for an instance, told us our total, and processed the charge before we could add that we wanted some stuff from the food court (hello pizza!). When we finally got our order in he said we should "say something quicker next time,"--which I think meant we had to reply while he said our totals, at some point between the decimal point I believe. The checker-assistant girl meanwhile proceeded to chuck our things into the cart, not even bothering to ask us if we wanted one of their re-purposed cardboard boxes to help us carry our multiple little things home.
The whole time my jaw was figuratively unhinged and my brain could not process how rude these two individuals were being. Should I have apologized for ruining their customer-service work-day with my customer needs? Should I have shouted at him right away that I wanted to stuff my face with pizza? Should I have told these two fellows that they are the reason that other customers make them feel like shit? They give customer service the bad name that it has and our 3 minutes together were the worst part of my day.
I went to write a little message on the feedback wall they have by the coffee grinding station, only to find that their pens are chained to the station and the feedback form is about the size of a post-it note. Also they want my member ID, name, and phone number; all things which I will gladly give them if they do indeed plan on doing something to appease my woes. But I decided that their little piece of paper was not enough, Nope. Instead I am going to write a full-sized letter and explain this little encounter with all of the little details as well as all of the other instances where I have been wronged by their staff and said nothing. I am tired of their shoddy customer service and I will let them know once and for all.
I feel sorry for those two people. They work at this job and they're so bad at it. They actually need a schtick, or more of a tagline excuse for their miserable attitudes. Like the guy should say stuff like "Good afternoon. I would ask you questions and feign some sort of human warmth, but I am a lonely individual who often worries about dying alone so rather than shape up and be nice and smile at people, I choose to stay a cold jerk and ruin your day. Thanks for shopping at Costco." And the girl could have said something along the lines of "I'd give you a shitty used box, but I'm planning on taking them all home with me so that I can build forts for all of my cats." Then I'd smile, nod and go "Haha, that's funny. You're funny. Thanks for that joke." And then a slow tear would roll down their cheek as they laughed too. and bam! customer satisfaction. We would have fulfilled our customer-employee interaction. Instead I came home and wrote this rant.
Will anything come of this rant? Probably not. But by golly I feel better already. Thank you internet space. You have served me well, much much better than spikey-hair and plain-jane-face at Costco.
Gosh, this is not a great first post at all. Oh well. Perhaps the next will have some better stuff. Maybe it will even be funny.
Until very very soon,
Eliz
No comments:
Post a Comment